Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Grandmaster Joe Davis

Author Topic: Grandmaster Joe Davis  (Read 20473 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Grandmaster Joe Davis
« on: July 01, 2003, 05:01:32 PM »

GM Davis started his martial arts training in the early part of 1962, and received his black belt in 1966.  He was the third black belt promoted by Grandmaster Aleju Reyes; the first two being Don Nahoolewa and Richard Peralta.
GM Davis was a charter member of the first Kajukenbo association on the mainland; the “Kajukenbo Association of America”, founded on February 22, 1967. 
Prof. Davis fought in his first tournament at Luke Air Force Base in 1963, along with Bob McConnell.  It was a Japanese sponsored event, with three Japanese style schools, one Korean style school, and Davis and McConnell.  It was a open tournament with no weight classes or belt divisions.  Both McConnell and Davis were disqualified for excessive contact. 
GM Davis was one of the early students at the Oakland, Ca. school of Bruce Lee and James Yinn Lee.  He trained there for about 6 months in 1964-65, and still has his membership card “#064.”.  He also trained privately under Grandmaster Al Dacascos, and attended classes in Judo with Sensei Jimmy Tanaka, Danzan Ryu Jujitsu with Sensei Robert Fischer, and some “Jane Woo” Tai Chi classes with Sifu William Yeung. 
In 1991, GM Davis assisted Sijo Emperado and Prof. Gary Forbach in the production of the World Kajukenbo Organization video series on the “Original Method” of Kajukenbo   
   Although he is semi-retired, GM Davis finds time to teach part time at his students (Joseph Mraz) school in Vacaville, Ca. and at Grandmaster Emil Bautista’s school in Vallejo, Ca.  He occassionally teaches seminars at various Kajukenbo schools and at Sijo Emperado’s birthday Luau/Tournament/Seminar weekend.
   This June (2003), GM Davis promoted Serene Terrazas to black belt, the first black belt promotion he has made in over 20 years. 
   GM Davis has added techniques from other systems to his own training, and teaches some of the hand techniques, throws, locks, and choke holds to his older students, but mainly, he still teaches the “old system Kajukenbo”, as it was taught in the early and mid 1960s.  (14 Palama Sets, 15 Grab Arts, 21 Punching Techniques, 13 Club Techniques, 15 Knife Techniques, 8 Two Man Attacks, 6 Three Man Attacks, 1 Four Man Attack, and 26 Alphabets).   
   Prof. Joe Davis was promoted to Grandmaster, 9th degree, by Sijo Emperado on August 10th, 2003.
He was inducted into the Kajukenbo Hall of Fame in Vallejo 2005, at Sijo's annual Kajukenbo tournament.
Also inducted into the World Martial Art Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, Nevada at following years, 2006, annual tournament and seminar given by Sijo Emperado. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:30:11 AM by John Bishop »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
Re: Grandmaster Joe Davis
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:51:04 PM »
Grandmaster Joseph Davis is having a birthday soon this February!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Birthday Joe, your classmate and friend.
Emil
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:47:45 PM »
Today is your birthday!! Hooray for you, Sir! ;D

Happy Birthday GM Davis! ;D

Its an honor to know you and be your student. Thanks for all the great teachings and stories.

I wish you all the best on your special day and many more happy returns.
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Israel Gonzales

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • www.themartialart.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:19:14 PM »
Happy Birthday Sir, from all of us in Fort Worth, Texas, we wish you the best!

Sifu Israel Gonzales
Kajukembo Self-Defense Systems
Fort Worth, Texas.
(Sijo Emperado - GM Aleju Reyes - GM Richard Peralta - Israel Gonzales)
www.themartialart.com

Offline kfull

• White Belt
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:18:50 AM »
Happy birthday sir from everyone at Reyes Kenpo
Kevin Fullerton,student of Grandmaster Reyes,Fairfield.Ca

Offline Sifu Jay Ortiz

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:42 AM »
Happy birthday to the man who put a whoopin on me when I was an orange belt that I still haven't forgotten. All the best and wishes for many more.

Best Regards,

Jay Ortiz
Kajukembo Self-Defense Systems
Train Hard. Stay Strong.

Offline HARDWORK

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • any thing worth having,is worth working for!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 04:19:30 PM »
Happy Birthday Sir,thank you for your time and teachings,Rob
Sifu Rob Harris 3rd degree -Reyes Kenpo

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 12:44:39 AM »
Happy Birthday Sir!!!!!!
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 09:46:27 PM »
A great bash was given to GM Davis with several dignitaries in attendance for his birthday celebration.
Emil Bautista

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 06:33:31 PM »
Excellent!! GM Joe Davis is a great guy! And a great Kajukenboist!
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 01:01:52 PM »
Grand Master sends his thank yous to all of you. GM Davis is not one to write in here but he is a frequent viewer. ;D

GM Davis' party was a "SURPRISE" Birthday party. It was a challenge keeping him in the dark but we did it. ;)
We told GM that the gathering was the schools anniversay party. Which is true - Terrazas Kajueknbo turned 2 years old on Feb. 2, 2006! But our main focus was for our teacher.

The party was a great hit! Thank you to all that attended GM was very surprised!!

Many came from near and far to wish him well.

GM Al Novac
GM Alan Reyes
GM Charles Gaylord
GM Ted Sotello
GM Emil Bautista
Prof. Lee Hart
Prof. Tommy Gilbert
Prof. Eugene Sedeno
Prof. Mitch Powell
Prof. Greg Lagera
Sigung Joe Tarango
Sigung Michael Whittle
Sigung Joe Mraz (GM Davis student)
Sigung Phil Poloma (GM Davis student)
Sigung Mark Gerry
Sifu Louie Javier
Sifu Joe
Siju Mark

The above mentioned were also accompanied by there students alike.

Not in attendance but sent there well wishes:
GM Eric Lee
GM Calvin Shin
GM Sid Campbell
GM Bob Maschmier
Prof. Harper

You were missed especially because we had to give your crabs away. LOL

MENU:

50 pds of ribs
40 pds of chicken
60 pd Pig - yum yum
over 35 side dishes - from your noodles to your salads - you name it was there!

PLUS each Grand Master was served there very own crab w/garlic butter - yum yum

The entertainment went as follows:

Opening by Terrazas Kajukenbo students - Kajukenbo Salutation & Palama Set #1 w/music
Hula dance group
Sigung Michael Whittle performance with oars and staff (uke Sifu Serene :o)
Hula dance group
Sigung Joe Tarango performance with escrima sticks and knives
Hula dance group
GM Ted Sotello and Sigung Joe Tarango performance - disarming of sticks and knives
Presentation of swords to GM Davis by Sigung Mark Gerry
Siva Samoa - Money dance for GM Davis - Dance group and GM Davis doing his swing dance - very nice Sir.

Yes, I do belong to a dance group that was the other surprise for GM. I couldn't afford to purchase entertainment so last year in July I joined a group. I figured by Feb. 2006 I would have learned something - and I did. Boy was GM surprised to see yours truly doing the hula - lol.

Immediately following GM's birthday was their private after party - where the blackblets were able to watch the Joe Vargas fights and play poker. Wow eat, watch the fights, play poker what a great life. ;D

Thank GM Ted Sotello & Sigung Julio for cooking. I know you guys were tired but you saved enough energy to cook on both of those grill all day - thanks. Thank you for your performance. The students were biting their nails through it al - thank you. Now I tell them okay if you don't listen I'm calling GM Ted. ;)

To my parents and students what an honor it is to have you as a family. I couldn't have done it without the help of my students and their parents. You know your school has grown when you can do a lot more at your party. Every party has gotter better and bigger everytime. THANK YOU it is an honor to know you.

GM Alan Reyes - thank you, to see you was like seeing your father. It was a great honor for us to have you and your students share our special birthday.

GM Gaylord - Congrats on winning the 50/50 raffle you were right - you won. Thank you it was good seeing you again and hearing your stories.

GM Al Novac - Sir, you haven't changed at all. You are still the GM with the biggest ALOHA heat I know. Thank you.

GM Bautista & Betty - thank you for coming by. It was good seeing you both and xia xia too.

Prof. Lee Hart - as always it warms us to see you. I love it the students are so excited to see you everytime. I appreciate your wisdom and heart for us.

Prof. Tommy Gilbert - Thanks it was an honor to see you as always. It was just like having Sifu's Jennifer, Doc, Damon and Mark in the house.

Thank you to everyone that attended - it was a great succes because of you. ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 01:31:23 PM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 02:02:15 PM »
did you forget to invite me Serene? I would have liked to have been there >:(
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »
Sorry Sifu Rob  :'(- I thought someone would have extended the invite to you. Next time I will personally invite you.  Not too worry I was scolded for you not being there - I think I'm a brown belt now ::).
Not sure GM hasn't made up his mind yet. :-\

I would also like to acknowledge Sifu Kaleo Wilson. I didn't mention him above because Sifu Kaleo is more like a brother to me - I forget he is also a black belt too. Thanks Kaleo & Lavella they brought the D.J. it was great! Thank you to James too your selection of music was great. James had the GM's dancing. It gave us a chance to see GM Davis do the jitter bug   :o and GM Sotello do some break dancing  :o or was that Sigung Tarango. :D  Gotta wait for the pictures to see who was doing what.

Big thanks to Sigung Gus I was advised that it was really you helping Sigung Julio and GM Sotello & Prof. Sedeno were supervising at least that's what GM Davis said. ;)

I also forgot to mention others that were not there but extended there birthday wishes:
GM Gary Forbach
Prof. Woody Sims
Sifu Bobby Joe Seronio

I'm apologizing in advance if I didn't mention or invite you. Gotta remember I'm just a second degree how much can I really do ;).

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 03:22:47 AM »
(2007) Another year, Grandmaster Joseph Davis. Happy birthday sir I know the students you had help in the past, honor you for your great support you have given them so there future can go on. We of NorCal KSDI wish you a great birthday and thanks for all the help you have done for us. We honor you.
Grandmaster Emil Bautista
Emil Bautista

Offline xGUMOx

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
    • SAVAGEBREEDKAJUKENBO.WEBS.COM
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMASTER!

SIBAK BILLY GUMATAOTAO
SIFU BILLY GUMATAOTAO-5TH DEGREE BLACK BELT