Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Grandmaster Ted Sotelo

Author Topic: Grandmaster Ted Sotelo  (Read 8827 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Administrator
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
    • John Bishop's Kajukenbo Homepage
Grandmaster Ted Sotelo
« on: June 16, 2004, 01:22:21 PM »

Ted Sotelo has extensive experience in street fighting. He was fighting in the streets before and after he started martial arts training. He first learned submission wrestling from his father, who was a professional Catch-As-Catch-Can wrestler. He was also a high school wrestling champ.

His street fighting ways led his aunt to take him to Al Dacascos to teach him discipline and keep him out of trouble. He learned Kajukenbo and tested its effectiveness on the streets. He was a bouncer at his Uncle’s bar. Always testing his skills. He left formal training in 1968 because of sport karate rules. He knew his stuff worked in the streets, but not in the commercialized tournament world. He was driven by his love of martial arts and not fame or fortune. He became a professional boxer because he could use full contact and follow up. After boxing training he would blend in his martial arts/street fighting techniques and spar his boxing friends.

Ted started his own school in 1973. The school had over 250 students, but only lasted the summer because he only charged $10 per month or whatever you could afford to pay (which was usually nothing). Other instructors at the school were his closest friends and students: Jr. Cautiverio, Alfonso Cautiverio, Wally Estropia, Filipe Ugale, Greg Matawaran and Eric Lee who taught forms.

After his school disbanded, Ted continued training with a core group in the garage. This group included the Cautiverio brothers, Wally Estropia, and Rob Moga from his disbanded school. The group trained on and off for nearly 20 years. One member, Jr. Cautiverio was applying Ted’s modifying techniques to Eskrima. Years later this would eventually lead Ted to Great Grandmaster Cacoy Canete of Doce Pares Eskrima.

During all of this time, Ted would share and learn techniques with many martial artists and masters of different styles (Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Muay Thai, American Boxing, Grappling, etc.) and test their effectiveness, taking what was useful and modifying and blending it into his expression of Kajukenbo. Ted would always find his own weaknesses to hone his skills for effectiveness. He also continued to learn traditional kung fu, forms, and weapons from different masters from S.F. Chinatown and the Bay Area. One time he took a class in Muay Tai at a Thai temple that was near his home. Within months he was teaching that Muay Thai class and trained some fighters for competition.

Every martial artist that has come into contact with Ted Sotelo has ended up in the garage to either train with him or be demolished by him. Some would come to the garage and kind of want to test or challenge Ted based on his reputation. They didn’t last very long (a matter of seconds). A few would return to learn from him for a while. Still others were brought in by the core group to train for a while. “New Blood!” Some notable garage mates: a 65 year old Wing Chun stylist (stayed for 1 year), a Thailand Muay Thai champion (stayed for 1 year), a 7’ tall Eagle Claw champion from Hong Kong (1 night), a State wrestling champion (submitted), professional boxer (1st round knock-out), former Korean Royal Army soldier (head dented refrigerator in garage), and many, many others throughout the years.

Ted Sotelo is a direct line Black Belt of Sijo Emperado. In 1993, Ted Sotelo received Sijo Adriano Emperado’s blessing and official authorization to name his expression of Kajukenbo, Fi Kuen. Fi Kuen means flying fist or rapid fist to describe the rapid hand attack, in honor of Sijo Adriano Emperado. The Fi Kuen patch design was hand picked by Sijo himself.

Ted Sotelo’s Kajukenbo basis and street-tested life experiences have been modified and blended to create what Kajukenbo Fi Kuen is today. He is still active in Doce Pares Eskrima. His art is dynamic and is constantly evolving. He continues to teach, learn, and refine Kajukenbo Fi Kuen.
“I’m always a student of the Martial Arts.”  - Ted Sotelo
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:15:04 AM by John Bishop »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA
www.kajukenboinfo.com

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline kumurick

• White Belt
  • "A Modern Approach To Ancient Values"
    • The Pit Malibu
Re: Grandmaster Ted Sotelo
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:13:17 AM »
It was great training with GM Ted Sotelo this weekend.

I'm also proud to announce here that he was promoted to Grandmaster yesterday in Cacoy Doce Pares.
GM Sotelo's ability to utilize all of his experience and training in a way that is able to maintain and convey the key principles that allow things to work within each of the independent systems that he teaches and utilizes is just one of the many attributes that make this promotion a natural. 

GMTS is the real deal and the more of us that have the opportunity to dig into with him and play the better the chances are of his work and all that he has been influenced by to continue to grow because believe me, we want what he has to offer to grow !

My Congratulations & Thanks to GM Ted Sotelo for an awesome day of training !

Mahalo ~
Kumu Rick Metzler
8th Degree Blackbelt - Hawaiian Kempo
3rd Degree Blackbelt - Cacoy Doce Pares Eskrima
3rd Degree Blackbelt - Cacoy Doce Pares Eskrido
3rd Degree Blackbelt - Cacoy Doce Pares Pangamot

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »
Congratulations, Grandmaster. 
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:12:05 PM »
Congratulations GM Ted!!

I really hope everything works out for you to attend my event in November still.  I am just starting to put together the plans for it, but I do think that November 9th will be the date.  It will be great to have you as one of the instructors this year.
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline Rob Moga

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Modify and Blend
Congratulations GM Ted!!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
Wow! Congratulations GM Ted Sotelo.  Sorry, I wasn’t able to be there.  I know you didn’t ask for it, but you definitely deserve it.  What an honor to receive it from Supreme Grand Master Cacoy Canete.

The great thing that I have always found in working out (sparring) with Ted is that I can turn it up a few notches or as far as I dare to.  He’ll just nullify you and counter at the same speed.  It is a very humbling experience.  It makes you better.  The better you get, the more he can show you and take you to the next level.  Of course if you take it to him full blast, he will take you out in a heartbeat.

I think anyone who has ever worked out with Ted knows what a master he truly is.  You have to feel his punch or kick to appreciate the power he can generate.  And that’s not even full power, he’s holding back.

Hands, stick, knife, whatevah.  As Ted always says “it doesn’t matter”.

I cannot say enough of how this man defines the term Grand Master.  We should all be proud that GM Ted represents KAJUKENBO.
Rob Moga
Kajukenbo Fi Kuen
Cacoy Doce Pares

Offline GM J. Willis

• Where we do more than just kick!!!
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
    • Willis Kempo Kung-Fu School
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »
GM Ted Sotelo,

Congratulations to a good friend on his latest promotion. It shows, if you keep your cup half full, anything is possible  :).
9th Degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo
6th Degree Black Belt in Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do
K.S.D.I., member since 2006

Offline Ghost Rider

• Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Live hard & Die fast
    • Kajupit.com
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »
GM Sotelo and I talk almost every day so I have already told him congratulations.
He has been trying to avoid this promotion for quite some time but it has finally caught up with him
I will keep it simple and just say that he has been a big influence in my life and a good friend.
He steps on the mat and train's, he never seeks rank or title, he keeps reality in his techniques, he tells you what's on his mind.
Half the time he doesn't wear his belt because he doesn't feel the need too.
The other half the time he doesn't wear his belt, because he can't remember where he left it.
As many of you know at this point in his life he and I are very close and it is my pleasure to have him as a friend.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:46:34 AM by Ghost Rider »
Greg Harper
senior instructor, Gumataotao Kajukenbo
Head instructor, Kajupit MMA
Sijo Emperado's personal body guard

Offline Sigung Jeff Macalolooy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Family First.
    • Dragons Den MMA
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:40:47 PM »
There has been a challenge made in the Bay Area for this so-called "double" grandmaster.

Aug 17 he will be at the Tiger Eye Claw Center in San Jose for the Cacoy Doce Pares Eskrima Seminar. I say if you question his skills, then be on the mat and be ready to cross sticks or hands ... I'd go first, but I don't want to embarrass him in front of everyone, so I'll let others "try" him out.

Hahahaha ...  jokes aside tho ... GM Ted is the real deal.  You choose the mat, ring, cage or street ... gloves, bare-knuckle, or weapons ... he can fight you any where ... And DOMINATE.

Congrats "Sifu" or as he likes to be called "Uncle" Ted. You deserve it and are well overdue.

Thanks for all the shared knowledge and conversations.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:04:47 PM by Sigung Jeff Macalolooy »
Jeff Macalolooy
Focus on the future.
www.DragonsDenMMA.com
ucjmac@yahoo.com

Offline jcordova

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • "Never, ever underestimate others, respect.."
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:10:06 PM »
Congratulations Uncle Ted, very well deserved.   Lots of love and respect...
Sifu Jesus Cordova, 4th Degree
Under "Uncle" Ted Sotelo
Yuma, AZ

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
yes he is the real deal!!!
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline Sigung Jeff Macalolooy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Family First.
    • Dragons Den MMA
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »
Train with the "double" Grandmaster

August 17
10am-4pm
San Jose, CA

see flyer for details:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=660551043972604&set=a.160227020671678.39289.153338078027239&type=1&theater
Jeff Macalolooy
Focus on the future.
www.DragonsDenMMA.com
ucjmac@yahoo.com

Offline GM ALAN M. REYES

• SGMReyes
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 01:48:18 AM »
Ted

Congratulations, Grandmaster. For a second time!
You surround yourself, with many of the same interest, and many that aren't. But they seem to be the right choices.
Love to you and yours
your friend
with all due respect

GMReyes
SGM Alan M. Reyes
SrGrandMaster KSDI(2014)
GrandMaster KSDI(1999)
9th DegreeRed/SilverBelt KSDI(1986)
60Yrs.ContinuousTraining KSDI/ReyesKenpoKarate(2014)
FirstGenerationStudent/Successor-GGM Aleju C. Reyes-RKK CA(1959)
FirstGenerationStudent-GGM Sijo Adriano D. Emperado-Palama Settlement Hi(1954)